Fairphone 5 Unveiled
The Fairphone 5 is another phone that captured our attention today with its official launch. Here are the main highlights of the Fairphone 5:
- Social and Environmental Focus: Fairphone 5 continues the concept of being socially and environmentally friendly in its design, aimed at customers valuing these aspects over pure performance or low cost.
- Price: The suggested retail price of the Fairphone 5 is 699 euros, making it 120 euros more expensive than its predecessor.
- Hardware and CO2 Reduction: Despite the higher price, the Fairphone 5 offers significant hardware improvements. It aims to reduce its CO2 footprint over its lifespan with a new climate protection label, using 70% fair trade and recycled materials.
- Modularity: The Fairphone 5 boasts 11 easily replaceable modules, making repairability easier. New modules include cameras, dual SIM card/MicroSD slot, and the vibration motor.
- Long-Term Software Support: The phone features a Qualcomm QCM6490 octa-core SoC with up to 2.7 GHz (comparable to the Snapdragon 778G). Fairphone promises software updates for eight years, thanks to Qualcomm’s extended support for the chip.
- Display: The Fairphone 5 comes with a 6.46-inch OLED display with a maximum refresh rate of 90Hz and a resolution of 2770 x 1224 pixels.
- Memory: The phone has 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of internal flash memory, with no other variants available.
- Camera: The Fairphone 5 has two 50-megapixel sensors on the back with premium lenses, offering high-resolution ultra-wide-angle photos. The front camera also features a 50-megapixel sensor, supporting 4K video.
- Battery: The battery capacity is 4200mAh + 30W charging power, and combined with the new processor, it promises extended runtimes. Other features include Bluetooth 5.2, WiFi 6E, and an IP55-certified housing.
- Availability: The Fairphone 5 is officially available for pre-order, and will be in stores by the end of September.