Samsung Unveils 200-megapixel ISOCELL HP2 for Galaxy S23 Ultra
Samsung has officially announced the new ISOCELL HP2, a 200-megapixel image sensor that will debut in the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. The ISOCELL HP2 packs 200-megapixel 0.6μm pixels in a 1/1.3” optical format, a sensor size that is widely used in 108MP main smartphone cameras. This allows consumers to enjoy even higher resolutions in high-end smartphones without larger camera bumps.
The HP2 also features Samsung’s advanced pixel-binning technology, Tetra²pixel, which adds versatility to the camera by simulating different pixel sizes to accommodate varying lighting levels. In low-lit environments, the sensor transforms either into a 1.2μm 50MP or 2.4μm 12.5MP image sensor by binding four to 16 neighboring pixels. For 8K video, the HP2 switches to 1.2μm 50MP mode to minimize cropping and capture more of the scene.
Washed-out pictures from brightly lit environments can be significantly reduced with the HP2, thanks to Samsung’s new Dual Vertical Transfer Gate (D-VTG) technology. D-VTG boosts the pixel’s full-well capacity by more than 33 percent, reducing overexposure and enhancing color reproduction.
In low-lit settings, the ISOCELL HP2’s auto-focusing is taken to the next level with Super QPD, which allows the sensor to use all its 200 megapixels for focusing agents. This delivers faster and more accurate auto-focusing, even in dimly lit environments. For superb HDR performance, Samsung is introducing the DSG feature in 50MP mode, which applies two separate conversion values to the analog signal received at the pixel level.
The ISOCELL HP2 is currently in mass production and is expected to appear in more phones besides the Galaxy S23 Ultra. With its advanced technology and capabilities, the ISOCELL HP2 promises to deliver epic details and high-quality images for smartphone photography enthusiasts.
Samsung ISOCELL HP2 Specifications
- Effective Resolution: 16,384 x 12,288 (200M)
- Pixel Size: 0.6μm
- Optical Format: 1/1.3″
- Color Filter: Tetra²pixel RGB Bayer Pattern
- Normal Frame Rate: 15 fps @ full 200MP, 30 fps @ 50MP, and 120 fps @ 12.5MP
- Video Frame Rate: 30 fps @ 8K, 120 fps @ 4K, and 480 fps @ FHD
- Shutter Type: Electronic rolling shutter
- ADC Accuracy: 10-bits
- Supply Voltage: 2.2V for analog, 1.0V for MIPI, 1.8V or 1.2V for I/O, and 0.92V for digital core supply
- Operating Temperature: -20℃ to +85℃
- Interface: 4 lanes(2.5Gbps per lane) D-PHY / 3 lanes(5.0 Gsps per lane) C-PHY
- Chroma: Tetra²pixel
- Auto Focus: Super QPD
- HDR: Smart-ISO Pro (iDCG), Dual slope gain
- Output Formats: RAW10/12
- Analog Gain: 128x with high conversion gain