200MP Samsung ISOCELL HP3 Introduction
Today, Samsung Electronics publicly announced 200 megapixels a.k.a. 200MP ISOCELL HP3 image sensor. Currently, Samsung ISOCELL HP3 samples are available, and mass production is expected to begin this year.
Highlighting its main features, Samsung said “With exquisite details of 200 million pixels, your next smartphone cameras will go beyond pro. Super ultra-high resolution. Perfect for nighttime shooting. Supercharged autofocus. Capture the image better than you want in just a single shot with the ISOCELL HP3.”
Compared with the previous generation of Samsung 0.64 micron (μm) pixels, ISOCELL HP3 pixel size was reduced by 12%, containing 200 million pixels in 1/1.4-inch optical format.
Meaning ISOCELL HP3 can reduce the camera module area by 20%, allowing smartphone manufacturers to ensure that their high-end products are thin and light in body and reduce the footprint of the body lens.
In terms of Samsung ISOCELL HP3 specifications, HP3 is equipped with a Super QPD autofocus solution, all the pixels of the sensor are equipped with an autofocus function.
Super QPD autofocus technology can use a single lens on 4 adjacent pixels to detect phase differences in horizontal and vertical directions, making the phone focus more accurately and quickly. In addition, ISOCELL HP3 enables users to shoot 8K video at 30fps or 4K video at 120fps with less loss of field of view.
For dark light shooting, Tetra²pixel technology allows 4 pixels in one, converting a 0.56-micron (μm) 200-megapixel sensor into a 1.12-micron (μm) 50-megapixel sensor; or 16 pixels in one, giving a 2.24-micron (μm) 12.5-megapixel sensor.
At the same time, to enhance the dynamic range of the mobile image sensor as much as possible, ISOCELL HP3 adopts the improved Smart ISO Pro technology, which can generate HDR images by merging the image information generated by the two conversion gains of low ISO mode and high ISO mode.
The upgraded Smart ISO Pro technology is described as having a triple ISO mode (low, medium, and high modes) to further enhance the dynamic range of the sensor, which can be switched between high and low ISO solutions depending on the shooting environment.
Samsung ISOCELL HP3 Specifications
- Effective Resolution: 16,320 x 12,288 (200M)
- Pixel Size:0.56μm
- Optical Format: 1/1.4″
- Color Filter: Super QPD Tetra²pixel, RGB Bayer Pattern
- Normal Frame Rate: 7.5 fps @ full 200 MP, 27 fps @ 50 MP, and 120 fps @ 12.5 MP
- Video Frame Rate: 30 fps @ 8K, 120 fps @ 4K, and 480 fps @ FHD
- Shutter Type: Electronic rolling shutter
- ADC Accuracy: 10-bits
- Supply Voltage: 2.2 V for analog, 1.8 V for I/O, and 0.9 V for digital core supply
- Operating Temperature: -20℃ to +85℃
- Interface: 4 lanes (2.5Gbps per lane) D-PHY / 3 lanes (4.0Gsps per lane) C-PHY
- Chroma: Tetra²pixel
- Auto Focus: RGB Bayer Pattern
- HDR: Smart-ISO Pro (iDCG), Staggered HDR
- Output Formats: RAW10/12/14
- Analog Gain: x128 with High Conversion Gain