Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S Telephoto Lens
Today, Nikon officially announced the first Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S telephoto fixed focal length lens. It belongs to the Nikkor Z lens S – type, built-in 1.4 times the range extender lens, priced at 13,999.95 USD, will be on sale in February this year. Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 is compatible with Nikon full-frame (Nikon FX-format) micro-single digital cameras using Nikon Z-mount.
The lens uses Nikon’s newly developed coating, the Meso Amorphous Coat, which has high anti-reflective properties and can effectively handle incident light from all directions. Very clear images can be obtained even in scenes susceptible to ghosting and flare.
It also uses Nikon’s newly developed smooth high-speed coil motor for autofocus drive, which enables fast, high-precision, and quiet autofocus control. Notably, the lens has a built-in range extender lens that extends the focal length by 1.4 times, enabling the lens to cover two focal lengths – 400mm and 560mm. The easy-to-use range extender switch allows for smooth focal length changes without changing the shooting pose. In addition to this, the lens also supports the use of Z-extender lens TC-1.4x and Z-extender lens TC-2.0x.
Other aspects, the lens supports the optical VR vibration reduction function, the effect of which is equivalent to a shutter speed increase of about 5.5 stops, the use of memory recall function NIKKOR Z lens, by rotating the Fn ring can store and quickly recall the commonly used focus position.
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S Key Features
- Employs a new coating, Meso Amorphous Coat, that provides the highest anti-reflection performance in NIKKOR history.
- Adopts the newly developed Silky Swift VCM (SSVCM), which enables fast, highly accurate, and quiet AF control.
- Various aberrations, including chromatic aberration, are effectively compensated with the adoption of two ED glass elements, a super ED glass element, two fluorite lens elements, and an SR lens element, which also contributes to a lightweight body.
- Features a built-in teleconverter that extends the focal length by 1.4x, allowing the lens to cover two focal lengths — 400 mm and 560 mm. The easily accessible teleconverter switch enables smooth changing of the focal length without changing shooting posture.
- Consideration was given to lighter weight with the adoption of a fluorite lens element and magnesium alloy.
- Supports an optical VR function with an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 5.5 stops faster, with a powerful effect regardless of whether the teleconverter is in use. Synchro VR is available when paired with the Nikon Z9.
- Superior dust- and drip-resistant performance is ensured by sealing adopted in various areas including movable parts of the lens barrel as well as a rubber gasket around the lens mount, while excellent anti-fouling performance is achieved with a fluorine coat on the surface of the front-most lens element.
- The first NIKKOR Z lens to adopt the Memory Recall function, with which a frequently used focus position can be stored and quickly recalled by rotating the Fn ring.
- Video recording is supported by incredibly quiet operation, focus breathing compensation that effectively reduces shifting of the angle of view when adjusting focus, and natural exposure changes when altering the aperture.
- The adoption of a control ring enables smooth operation for comfortable video recording.
- Supports use of the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x and Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x.
- Weight: 2,950g.