Qualcomm aptX Lossless
Qualcomm recently released aptX Lossless Bluetooth audio codec, which is claimed to provide CD-level audio quality via Bluetooth. According to the official introduction, aptX Lossless Bluetooth audio codec can transmit CD-level audio quality (16-bit, 44.1kHz) audio via Bluetooth, so users can listen to lossless audio quality in their wireless Bluetooth headphones.
However, aptX Lossless compresses the CD’s 1.4 Mbps bit rate to 1 Mbps, and Qualcomm says they are using fully lossless compression. With the release of aptX Lossless, the data rates of the aptX and aptX HD codecs will be greatly improved and are expected to exceed Sony LDAC’s 990 Kbps.
In addition, aptX Lossless requires Snapdragon Sound audio technology to be available, which means older phones can’t use it. Qualcomm aptX Lossless is expected to be launched in 2022 and is expected to be available for devices that support Snapdragon Sound.
Qualcomm aptX Lossless features & specifications:
- Supports 44.1kHz, 16-bit CD lossless audio quality
- Designed to scale up to CD lossless audio based on Bluetooth link quality
- Users can select between CD lossless audio 44.1kHz and 24-bit 96kHz lossy
- Auto-detects to enable CD lossless audio when the source is a lossless audio
- Mathematically bit-for-bit exact
- Bit-rate – ~1Mbps