Qualcomm’s Snapdragon SM8450
Besides the recently appeared Snapdragon 888 Plus/Pro on Geekbench performance test site, the real successor of Snapdragon 888 (SM8350) will be Snapdragon 895 (tentatively named) (SM8450). Qualcomm’s Snapdragon SM8450 codenamed “Waipio” will debut in the fourth quarter of the year.
Not a long ago TSMC announced that its 4nm process technology will start mass-production in the 3rd quarter of the year. Recent leaks confirmed that the Snapdragon SM8450 will manufacture on 4nm process. The SoC will integrate the Snapdragon X65 5G modem – RF system.
One of the industry’s most reliable tipsters, Evan Blass, has now published SM8450 specifications information Uncovering core aspects of next-generation SoC. Let’s take a look:
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon SM8450 Specifications
- Manufacturing Process: 4nm
- Core: Kryo 780 CPU core based on Arm Cortex v9 technology
- GPU: Adreno 730 GPU core
- ISP: Spectra 680 ISP image processor
- Network: Millimeter-wave downlink up to 1 GHz and 400 MHz Sub-6 D rate
- Audio: Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9380/WCD9385 audio codec support
- Security: Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit (SPU260)
- Connectivity: Support Qualcomm FastConnect 6900 subsystem
- Memory: Support for quad-channel package LPDDR5 RAM
- VPU: Adreno 665 video processing unit (VPU)
- DPU: Adreno 1195 Display Processing Unit (DPU)
Compared to Snapdragon 888, the new SoC will have a stronger 5G integrated baseband with support for both millimeter-wave or Sub-6GHz 5G networks. In addition, its GPU is an upgrade from Adreno 660 to Adreno 730, which is expected to be a huge boost in graphic processing power. Its ISP is upgraded from Spectra 580 to Spectra 680 and the FastConnect 6900 subsystem will support Bluetooth LE Audio/5.2 and Wi-Fi 6E.
This iPhone Powered by A14 Bionic SoC is still ahead in terms of performance, while Apple M1 powered tablet performance become incomparable to Snapdragon-powered tablet. So, this time, to the short performance gap between Snapdragon flagship phone and Apple’s upcoming A15 powered iPhone 13 Series of devices, there will lot of hard work required by Qualcomm and partner.
This year mid-range smartphone market covered by MediaTek’s processor and also surpassed Snapdragon shares. Now, MediaTek is also reported that is working on a flagship SoC manufactured on TSMC’s 4nm process and will available in the 4th quarter of the year. 4nm SoC from MediaTek will surely take some share from Snapdragon, or also be more cost-effective.