50MP Samsung ISOCELL GN2
After the huge popularity of the ISOCELL GN1 sensor, Samsung today announced the ISOCELL GN2 sensor, which is a 50-megapixel sensor but can output 100 megapixels, and the 1/1.12-inch size is also the largest so far. The Samsung ISOCELL GN2 has 50 megapixels native to the 1.4um size, and can also be quadruple pixeled into a 2.8um megapixel for improved light sensitivity in dim light conditions, resulting in brighter night shots.
Samsung ISOCELL GN2 key features
- 50 megapixels, 1/1.12-inch large base, 1.4μm per pixel area
- Support Smart ISO Pro, Dual Pixel Pro,
- Pixel quadruplex (12.5 megapixels equivalent after quadruplex, 2.8μm)
- Support Staggered HDR, 8K video, 4K 120fps video recording
- Can achieve 100 million pixel photo output
For high pixel occasions, the ISOCELL GN2 also offers 100 megapixel output with an intelligent mosaic algorithm that rearranges pixels to create three separate layers of 50 megapixels of red, green, and blue to achieve 100 megapixels of ultra-high resolution for easy cropping.
In terms of focusing, the ISOCELL GN2 is the first Samsung sensor to support Dual Pixel Pro enhancement technology, which allows each pixel to be divided into left and right halves, using phase difference autofocus. Dual Pixel Pro technology can also be combined with Quad Pixel technology, and the ISOCELL GN2 is also the first sensor to support both technologies, allowing for fast focusing in any scene.
Dual Pixel Pro takes autofocus to a new level. It uses green pixels that divide photodiodes with diagonal structures. These diagonally-split pixels compare the phase differences between the top and bottom of the pixel in addition to phase differences in the left and right sides.
As a result, Dual Pixel Pro delivers fast and accurate autofocus even under difficult conditions, such as low-lighting or fast-moving subjects. It also addresses certain limitations of Dual Pixel technology, which struggles to differentiate between the left and right sides of patterns such as parallel horizontal stripes. The addition of top and bottom phase detection means your camera can better distinguish these patterns, making it capable of quickly grabbing focus even when your subject is wearing a patterned shirt with horizontal lines.Samsung
Other aspects, ISOCELL GN2 sensor also supports interlaced HDR, Smart ISO, Smart ISO Pro, the latter can increase the sensitivity to 1 million levels, significantly improve the night scene brightness, a new generation of night vision device debut. For video, the ISOCELL GN2 also supports 4K 120fps, 1080p 480fps, enhancing the playability of mobile video.
Samsung said that the ISOCELL GN2 sensor is in mass production, but the official did not reveal the first company to use the ISOCELL GN2 sensor, there are rumors that Xiaomi’s upcoming Xiaomi 11 Ultra will debut on which is hinted by Xiaomi’s Wang Tang Thomas.
Samsung ISOCELL GN2 Specifications
- Effective resolution: 8,160×6,144 (50M)
- Pixel size: 1.4μm
- Optical format: 1/1.12″
- Pixel type: ISOCELL Plus
- Color filter: Dual Tetrapixel RGB Bayer Pattern
- Normal frame rate: 10fps @ 100MP mode
- Video frame rate: 480fps @ HD, 30fps @ 12.5MP
- Shutter type: Electronic rolling shutter and global reset
- ADC accuracy: 10-bits
- Supply voltage: 2.2V for analog, 1.8V for I/O, and 1.05 V for digital core supply
- Operating temperature: -20℃ to +85℃
- Interface: 4 lanes (6.5Gbps per lane) D-PHY / 3 lanes (3.5Gbps per lane) C-PHY
- Chroma: Tetra
- Autofocus: Dual Pixel Pro (PDAF)
- WDR: Smart-ISO Pro (iDCG), Staggered HDR
- Output formats: RAW8 (using DPCM/PCM compression) and RAW10 output formats
- Analog gain: x16