Micron announced that the new uMCP5 is ready for mass production. Micron uMCP5 is the world’s first MCP multi-chip package to integrate LPDDR5 memory and UFS flash memory in a single chip, which can greatly enhance the storage density of smartphones and save internal space, cost, and power consumption.
It is reported that Micron in a single chip, integrated its LPDDR5 memory chip, NAND flash memory chip, UFS 3.1 controller, TFBGA package format, voltage 1.8V, operating temperature from -25 ℃ to +85 ℃. The memory part, LPDDR5 data transfer rate up to 6400Mbps, compared to the LPDDR4 speed up to 50%, while the energy efficiency is also increased by almost 20%.
Flash memory part, UFS 3.1 compared to UFS 2.1 power consumption savings of about 20%, sustained read speed doubled, sustained download speed of 20% faster, reliability is also improved by about 66%, the number of programming/erase cycles up to 5,000 times. Micron uMCP5 integrated single will offer four RAM+ROM combination of 8GB+128GB, 8GB+256GB, 12GB+128GB, and 12GB+256GB.
Micron uMCP5 Features
- Maximum DRAM bandwidth of up to 6.4 Gbps to enable full 5G support
- 2x storage interface speeds supported by UFS 3.1, compared to UFS 2.1
- Almost half the footprint of discrete memory solutions
- LPDDR5 that is nearly 20% more power-efficient than LPDDR4x
- UFS 3.1 that consumes almost 40% less power than its predecessor UFS 2.1
- Endurance boosted by 66%, extending smartphone life span for heavy-use cases