Sony CEA-G Series High-speed Memory Cards
Today Sony released a full-frame mirror-less Alpha 7S3, in addition to bringing a new 4K 120p video, this time also uses a dual card slot design, Sony also launched TOUGH triple defense CFexpress Type A memory card CEA-G series, and the matching card reader, read speed reached 800MB/s, then the common SSD. It’s even faster, but the price isn’t cheap either, with 160GB going for 200 USD.
What is CFexpress?
CFexpress is a standard for removable media cards proposed by the CompactFlash Association (CFA). The standard uses a PCIe 3.0 interface with 1 to 4 lanes where 1 GB/s data can be provided per lane.
The Alpha 7S3 is demanding in terms of photography and video, and it features two CFexpress Type A slots, as well as support for UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC memory cards for simultaneous or extended continuous recording, so memory cards can’t be a drag.
The CFexpress Type A memory card from Sony this time has high speed, durability, and reliability TOUGH triple defense specifications and comes in 2 capacities, the CEA-G80T with 80GB and the CEA-G160T with 160GB.
In terms of performance, the CEA-G series memory card has a read speed of 800MB/s and write speed of 700MB/s, which can cope with 4K video recording without any pressure, and also has advanced heat dissipation performance and is dust and waterproof.
In addition to the two CEA-G series memory cards, Sony has also introduced a companion Sony MRW-G2 card reader that supports SD cards and CFexpress Type A memory cards, and USB 3.2 interface at a rate of 10Gbps to provide faster data transfer.
Sony CEA-G Series Specifications And Features
- Compact body: dimensions 0.79 x 1.10 x 0.11″ (W x H x D)
- Available in 80 GB and 160 GB capacities
- Ultra-fast write speed of up to 700 MB/s for burst and high-resolution imaging; VPG (Video Performance Guarantee) 400
- Enhanced workflow with an extremely high read speed of up to 800 MB/s
- TOUGH, IP57-rated, for professional reliability
- Read Speed of 800 MB/s
- Interface: PCI Express Gen3 x 1
- Supported by File Scan Utility memory diagnostic software and Memory Card File Rescue data recovery software
- TOUGH specification construction ensures high durability and dust/water resistance
- Effective heat dissipation design
Sony CEA-G Series Price And Availability
- (US) – CEA-G80T/CEA-G160T: $199.99 USD / $399.99 USD
- (CA) – CEA-G80T/CEA-G160T: $259.99 CAD / $519.99 CAD
- (US) – MRW-G2: $119.99 USD
- (CA) – MRW-G2: $159.99 CAD
CFexpress Type A memory cards and card reader will be available in September 2020.